Here are a couple of recipes to try for the Herb of the Week: Sorrel. But feel free to wash it and try it raw – it has a lemon zing to it that very refreshing chopped into salads or great topped onto Fish as well. Enjoy!
Sorrel and Goat Cheese Quiche
- 2-3 cups sorrel
- coarsely chopped a few scallions
- chopped 3-4 ounces goat cheese (chevre)
- 3 eggs 1½ cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread goat cheese (or any strong flavored cheese) in the bottom of a piecrust. Cover with chopped sorrel and scallions. Beat eggs, salt and milk together. Pour over greens. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until top is golden brown.ps.
Source: A Luna Circle Farm original recipe
Cream of Sorrel Soup
- Clean, shred from the midrib and chop: ½ cup sorrel leaves 1½ cups leaf lettuce
- Sauté them until wilted in: 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- When they are sufficiently wilted, there will be only about 3 tablespoons of leaves.
- Add: 5 cups poultry or vegetable stock Simmer about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add a small amount of the soup to:
- ½ cup cream 3 beaten egg yolks
Combine all ingredients and heat until the soup thickens slightly, but do no boil. Makes 5 to 6 cups.
Source: Joy of Cooking